But here's a funny story. We have been receiving pictures of Biruk since he was about 3 months old. And in every single picture, he has had the exact same expression...until last week. We received a batch of photos of Biruk last week, and my initial reaction was "That's not my child!" Biruk is called Biruk at the orphanage, but his legal name is Bereket, and there is more than one Bereket there, so I'm occasionally haunted by the fear that we'll accidentally get the wrong child.
The reason this new batch of photos didn't look like him to us is because he is smiling!...smiling and goofing around, and just having a great time, with hand and mouth and shirt sticky with some just-consumed treat. The smile totally transforms his face. And, the smile makes me realize that I really don't know who Biruk is yet. (This is where you think: "Hello, Christine! Of course you don't.")
I had built an image in my mind of this child based on photos and DVDs that we've received: quiet, serious, and somewhat tentative. He's someone who needs a mom to just hold him and snuggle with him. Fortunately, I'm realizing this week - not a moment too soon! - that I can't possibly know him from pictures alone. He may not even like snuggling, or at least not all the time, as my imaginary child does. So, in addition to the packing and organizing and last minute running around, I'm busy this week making room in my heart and mind for Biruk to be exactly the person he is. I can't wait to meet him!
We will start posting pictures to the blog either next Monday (July 6) or when the technology allows. In the meantime, pictures of the smiling Biruk can be seen now on Christine's Facebook page, which you can access if you belong to Facebook and are my "friend":
http://www.facebook.com/christine.brockett
Love your blog! I'm so excited for your whole family. We'll be praying for you on your journey.
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you all! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteJulie, Dean and Stuart
Thank you for sharing this experience with all of us. We wish you the best!
ReplyDelete-The Broback family
What a wonderful adventure. We can't wait to read the details of your first meeting. Wishing your family all of the best!
ReplyDeleteCindy and Sara Jessen